Monday, July 12, 2010

Bend it Like Beckham!

First of all, Congrats to Spain! And to my good friend David Villa, for winning the World Cup!!



I think I will maybe get this shirt to help celebrate =]



I really never used to get into soccer so much. In fact, I really didn't like all that much 4 years ago when Dan would make us watch the World Cup when we would visit each other. I remember I would bring big stacks of magazines and read through them, or sleep a lot when games were on. I never played a whole lot of soccer until I moved to Columbus. Dan would get together with people from the SPPO department and play, then he told me I should go along. Then we started to play FIFA on PlayStation...So I learned the game, and I learned to appreciate it.

I joined a league with a co-worker in the fall of 2008 and had a pretty good time. It was fun to go out and play. WE never did win a game. Now, Dan and I are playing soccer in my work's rec league. This is a co-ed C league.

Anyway, with that said, I am normally not a super competitive person. I am pretty timid when I play, because I am not super skilled at soccer. I like defense because I like to take the ball away rather than control the ball. I am not super aggressive when I play. However, if you try to push me around, that gives me the green light to push you back.
Most of the time I will throw an elbow or knock into someone to throw them of course from getting to the ball.

Now, as I mentioned before this is a C league, meaning the bottom league. But there are some super competitive teams in this league. Just a little over 2 weeks ago, we were playing one of these teams. There was a man, bigger than me, who was pushy! I was trying to stay between him and the ball and I was pushing all of my weight onto him. I am not sure if he tripped, or just moved, or fell but all of the sudden he was not there anymore. Next thing you know I am on the ground trying to get up off the ground so no ref or anyone would come over. The only thing I remember was hitting my right elbow really, really hard. It is almost the same memory I had when I broke my foot. I remember landing wrong and how bad it was, and that is the only thing I remember. Dan said it also looked like I was in shock a little bit.

It felt like I hit my funny bone really hard. My fingers went numb and it HURT! But this is soccer and you don't need your arms, so I kept playing. Towards the end of the game I just held my arm up close to my chest, and I couldn't bend or extend my arm fully.

On the way home, I was in the car trying to use my hands when talking and I had a shooting pain in my arm. Of course, Dan and I planned a cookout for that night and saved the cleaning for after the game...I discovered I am pretty good at one armed cleaning.
I was in the shower when I realized how bad it was, because I couldn't reach my hair or face to wash. I couldn't squeeze the shampoo bottle.

The next day we went to urgent care. The X-rays were probably the most painful part of the whole injury...
We found it was probably fractured, but I had to go back to the sports clinic and make sure.

The gave me the sling. This helped a lot! Plus I had a lot of help from Dan! Who has become a master at dressing me! I was able to type and use the computer mouse at work. I could also ice it throughout the day. It was really swollen for about 5 days or so, then the bruise started to show! I had most of my range back, but I couldn't fully extend my elbow.

I went to the sports clinic and the showed me the X-ray, and this is what it looked like:




The arrows are pointing to Fat Pads. Which, according to the doctor, you should not be able to see both. this means I have a radial head fracture.

The also told me most of the soreness I was experiencing was from my arm being in the sling, which was causing tennis elbow.
They forced my arm to extend, and thought it wasn't excruciating pain. There was a lot of pressure and it was uncomfortable.

Since I have a good range of motion and the sling as starting to hurt my the said I didn't have to wear it anymore. I guess you don't need a cast for elbow fractures!

I still can't fully extend my arm and I feel like Quasimodo. I try to work on it at night when I am at home. Last night, I tried to to do a work out video (which you can stream on Netflix), and realized my arm is not quite at 100% yet.

It is still a little sore and weak. But hopefully I will be good to go in 2 weeks!
We still have a few games to play =]

3 comments:

  1. I hope that your arm feels better ASAP! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update... hope you're doing better soon. I never thought to stream workout videos from NEtflix... which ones have you tried?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, is Dan picking out your clothes for you, too, or just helping you get dressed? Ha ha... see, didn't that make you forget your elbow pain for just a second?

    ReplyDelete